2 TBSP olive oil
1 tsp onion powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
¾ lb (12 oz) Johnsonville mild ground Italian sausage (weigh, as it does affect carb count)
¾ lb (12 oz) 80/20% ground beef (again, weigh it for protein macros)
½ of a 24-oz jar of Rao’s Tomato Basil Sauce
16 oz container of cottage cheese (ricotta would be lower carb, but we don’t like it)
½ tsp sea salt
½ lb deli sliced chicken breast (turkey is ok, but chicken is more noodle-sized slices). Deli will slice to your preferred thickness…not too thick, but thicker than the prepackaged “shaved” stuff.
1 8-oz pkg of sliced mozzarella cheese (12 slices)
¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan
INSTRUCTIONS (preheat oven to 425 F)
1. In dutch oven or big cast iron skillet, saute minced garlic in the 2 TBSP of olive oil until tender
2. Add Italian sausage and ground beef and stir together and cook until browned. When done, drain excess fat and add onion powder and marinara sauce and let simmer a few minutes on LOW heat
3. In small mixing bowl, stir cottage cheese (or ricotta) and egg together with sea salt.
4. Remove meat sauce from heat and get ready to assemble into 9 X 13 baking dish:
Half of the meat sauce (about 1½ to 1¾ cups)
Arrange chicken breast slices to completely cover meat sauce layer
Spread half of the cottage cheese (or ricotta) & egg mixture over “noodle” layer
Layer 6 of the mozzarella slices to completely cover surface
Sprinkle with a third of the grated Parmesan
Repeat all layers, topped with remaining mozzarella slices and Parmesan
5. Cover with foil sprayed with cooking spray (to prevent cheese from sticking), and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 20-25 minutes. Let cool about 10-15 minutes before slicing into 8 servings.
Nutrition: 3.9g Carbs; 428 Calories; 31g Fat; 32g Protein; 0g Fiber